Volunteer Opportunity from Volunteer Partnerships for West Africa (VPWA) www.vpwa.org
As part of our efforts to support schools in GA West Municipality of Greater Accra Region and the Akuapim South Municipality of Ghana under our acclaimed Teach In Ghana(TIG) Project, VPWA engages volunteers to offset a shortfall of teachers in the local schools. Volunteer teachers are also employed to fill gaps in any specific subject areas that need support
As a volunteer teacher in Ghana, you will receive assistance from the local school teachers with regards to lesson plans and teaching the curriculum. You will receive a Teaching Guide Book which gives you advice to assist you in your daily work with the children. You will also receive a timetable displaying when each class and subject is taught throughout the week.
Volunteers are asked to assist with lessons Monday to Friday (8:00am -2:30pm)
· At least18 (no maximum age limit)
· Good knowledge in English language
· Strong commitment to values and principles of volunteerism
· Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
· Ability to adjust to sometimes difficult living conditions
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills
Term Time in Ghana:
(a) 10th September to 9th December
(b) 10th January to 23rd March
(c) 8th May to 2nd July
Note: These dates vary slightly from year to year. They also vary from school to school and should be treated as approximate rather than confirmed dates.
What’s included in the project fees?
What’s not included?
- Flights & Visa
- Vaccinations (please speak to your local GP)
- Insurance (required)
Volunteers working on VPWA projects live in Greater Accra and Eastern Region. Please confirm your project location with our coordinator. Volunteers live in shared rooms. Couples are adviced to inform us if they wish to share a room in advance. The rooms have comfortable beds with pillows and covers, so there is no need to bring sleeping bags. The volunteer apartment has a kitchen with fridge, as well as toilet and shower facilities.
VPWA do not charge to provide below service
- Application processing, interviews, pre-departure information and administrative works prior to arrival.
- 24/7 emergency support
- Orientation prior to beginning of work
- Airport pick-up only
The following services may also be offered based on availability
- Basic TWI language orientation
- Mobile phone SIM card number sent to you ahead of departure, so that you can inform family and friend’s your number in Ghana
- Internet use at VPWA operational head office
- Certificate of Recognition given to hardworking volunteers, as well as the opportunity to serve as VPWA ambassador in your city, college or community
Health and Safety
Volunteers must arrange their own flights to Accra Airport (ACC). Please be aware that you should communicate your arrival date and time to Volunteer Coordinator. The following airlines fly into Accra: