Awards, Causes, Democracy, Disasters, Humanitarian, South Africa, Sub-Saharan Africa

Burnout: Rescue 911

The following narrative(s) are based on true events. Some names have been changed for privacy purposes. I had finally been given the opportunity to take a production (play) to the National Arts Festival via UKZN PMB. I wanted to write an untold story, a story that relates to everyone. Part of this story was performed at the 2016 Musho! Festival, where my team and I won best upcoming work. The narratives in this writing are the ones that never made it to the production.

I wanted to write a story about paramedics, the superheroes with no capes or powers, the individuals who grapple with the grim reaper himself. I reached out to ER24 and they were willing to help, so it was game on.

My performer (Musa) and I were to start. We had to wake up before 5 am because at 6 am the ambulance was to hit the road. Our first danger was walking on Prince Alfred Street in the morning — not a very safe road to walk early in the morning. We survived that danger. With our white shirts and jeans, we arrived at the ER24 station office formerly located at Prince Alfred.

We were greeted with the warmest welcome. Everyone was already there. You could not tell that these guys saw traumatic events every day. We shook hands and introductions were made. As we spoke to these guys already we could see different personalities spouting: the funny guy (Mike), the quiet one (Lungi), the dramatic one (Lucas) and one we only could title as the hot brunette (Amber). For logistics we had to sign some documents and we hit the road. Our main correspondent would be Mike. He was a bald, ageing white male, slightly hunched and was a smoker. Little did we know that spending our days with him would be a joyous time filled with laughter, even in cases of trauma. And that is exactly the advice he gave: “A lot of us here deal with trauma differently, but the most common way is through laughter.

”As we waited for an emergency call, Mike filled our minds with imagination about the true events that happen in his job. He was a family man with a daughter, had been at ER24 for almost four years but a paramedic longer. Our first day was not relaxed because there were accidents left and right. But by the time we sighed, 12 hours had passed and we waited for the next day(s).Day three (late 8.10 pm)

We needed to experience the night time of this job. This time it was me and Smanga. While everyone was busy watching Generations, we were in the back of the ambulance driving towards Northdale Hospital. Behind sat Mike, me, Smanga and two unnamed male patients. One was bloody all over, clothes ripped and head scarred. He had driven his bakkie into a ditch while drunk. His friend wasn’t as harmed, while he was close to the edge of death. Mike was busy filling documents; he had already attached the appropriate equipment to the male. He gave me a job to make sure the man did not fall asleep. “Why?” I asked. “Well if he does he might not wake up again.” I had no idea if this was to scare me but it did.

Now this is what I came here to do, experience this job, but now I feared that a man’s life depended on me. I found out his name — Themba — now I had to dig up his life story. He kept mentioning only one thing, his mother. Of the many things he worried about, it was his mother. He kept saying we must not call her because she’ll worry too much. As I kept asking questions, he wanted to nap, he kept saying: “Awuthi ngilale kancane boss, ngikhathele ukuphendula manje [Can I sleep for a while? I’m tired of answering].“Ima bra wami uzobuye ulale, awungitshele ngo mem [You’ll sleep later; tell me about your girlfriend].

”Every passing second he wanted to sleep, stinking of alcohol. A part of me wished he just slept; the world would be a better place with one fewer drunk on the road, but that’s not the job. We got to the hospital, gave them to the doctors and headed back to the ambulance. We had to assist in cleaning all the dirty things — sheets, used blankets and gloves. And then I saw it. That one moment that these events do take a toll. All the guys who smoked, including Mike, gathered and smoked. Every puff was followed by a sigh of relief. One male (Lungi) sat in the passenger seat listening to East Coast Radio, head laid back. I wanted to do something, too, so I just asked questions and then we were off again.Day 13 (approx 8.57 pm)The city never sleeps on a Friday. It had been two weeks now and we already thought we were getting accustomed to this life of paramedics. If only that were true. We were called to another accident at Victoria Road, just by The Hub store. Vehicles had collided, a taxi if I remember correctly. We got there and there was chaos. Everybody was there, police were there, pick-up trucks (vultures) and other emergency rescue services, Netcare 911. Our guys got off, greeted their fellow rivals — yes, although it is the same job, some rivalry exists. We were filled in on the situation. Smanga and I were asked to take some of the injured patients into the ambulance,

Source: Burnout:Rescue 911 | News24

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *